One of the most popular team sports today is netball. It is becoming a favorite among numerous athletes and hobbyists around the world. Netball is a ball sport played between two teams of seven players. Generally, there are twelve players in a team but only seven will play on the court. This game is said to be derived from early versions of basketball and is akin to it in many respects. This sport today is predominantly played by women, although there are also men who are already masters in this sport.
A netball game is played on a rectangular court divided into thirds. A raised goal is found at each short end of the court. The primary objective of the game is for each team to score goals, by passing a ball and shooting it into their team's goal ring. There are umpires who act as controllers. Some of the new netball umpiring rules are the following:
- For each successful goal, the umpire will signal by holding one arm up. Unlike before when making a signal is through blowing a whistle.
- New hand signal are introduced. These new hand signals are found in the Rule Book.
- An umpire must wear a uniform with a distinctive color from the playing teams.
- There is a reserve umpire who is tasked to supervise suspended players among others.
These are only some of the new netball umpiring rules you should take note of. And when it comes to fitness areas to focus on to ensure that your playing skills are always at its best, here are some tips:
- Strength. All netball players have to be strong enough to hold position, particularly when the ball is at hand. If you are new to this sport, you have to remember that aside from the game itself, there is another competition for all players to be ahead, to find for a space to jump, to wheel around, to pass to another player and to open for receiving.
- Endurance. This sport also requires a lot of running and jumping. Players have to be able to jump high when they intercept flying balls or when they shoot hoops. You also have to run shoulder to shoulder with the players of the opposing team.
- Speed and agility. Finally, netball involves a lot of running, jumping and other fast movements in netball. All players have to be able to move with a certain level of efficiency and speed. You also have to be agile enough for the sudden changes in direction and pace in movement. Getting enough training in agility is necessary for prevention of injuries.
These are some of the most important things you should know about netball. Visit this site for more updated information.